|About this item
- The Book of Azathoth is an homage to the American sci-fi and horror author, H.P. Lovecraft. The 78 card deck is
- designed to give the feel of being of Lovecraft's universe, as used by one of his characters. Self-published and
- available from the artist.
The Book of Azathoth
Seeking a Publisher 2012
and various shades of goldish yellowish brownish that
all mix together as various shading. Cards have the
card name, Hebrew letter and with many other tarot
symbols in the corners of each card. The deck totally
follows the RWS tradition while using Lovecraft monsters,
creatures, and aliens, for any people represented in the
card. It's easy to read for anyone who knows RWS
Examples of how the cards depict Lovecraft stuff:
1. The Fool
has dog, cliff, stick and bag symbols along with
ghoulish face and blood dripping where the dog bites the
2. The Star has a beautiful nude woman pouring
liquids from pitchers held in both hands while a monster
in the water watches her.
3. The Aces are held by hands with long craggily finger nails
and weird skin.
4. Three of Swords just like the Rider-Waite but the
'heart' is a human heart aortas and all - pierced with the
5. Wand card humans are monsters with
devil tails and horns.
6. Cup cards have amphibian type
All cards are extremely detailed with each taking
time to appreciate all the symbols that are pictured.
An knower of both tarot and Lovecraft will love these
and there are really two completely clear pathways for
reading the cards that are available.
I am a collector who
likes art decks and that is why I got this one. It is
definitely more whimsical and humorous than the 'other'
Lovecraft deck. There's no companion booklet, but none needed as you could read
any traditional one and get the point.